Sunday, April 22, 2012

Ending and Beginnings.....

We have had quite a few landmarks during the past two years in our family. My daughter got married, got a new job, and now is expecting our first grandbaby, My oldest son is starting a new job. My parents are moving from their home of 51 years to a new, beautiful place. My nephew is getting married. And, my youngest son is giving me all those "last" experiences... last prom for one of my children, last graduation, last sporting event, last choral concert, etc. And, even though I do mark each of these with a touch of regret, I have learned that, truly, life offers no dead ends unless we seek them. There is always a choice for a new adventure, a new project, and new way of showing our children we love them, a new way to love God by loving those around us. 


Today, one of my family members asked me if "the last prom" made me sad. I had to think about it a bit and I realized that yes, I am sad about the kiddos growing up - but I wouldn't want them to stay little forever. I want them to meet their mates, serve God, have their own children, etc. So, if I want all of those things for them, I have to have "lasts" for some things.


And, "lasts" bring "firsts" such as our first grandbaby, our first trip together without children present, nights when we work on our own projects, when we have time to explore new dreams.


So, no dead ends here...only new directions! New dreams out here on the prairie... 


How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment